Package Creation: foibles and follies

The process of setting up git with RStudio was not as straight-forward as I had expected.  I had not realized that git was different from the Github desktop app.  Trying to tie the Github desktop app into R Studio caused R Studio to keep opening up new instances of the Github desktop app while it tried to establish a connection to the website.  After realizing that there was, in fact, a difference between git and the desktop app, I refocused my efforts on git.  After redoing all the configuration, I tried to push my package to github only for it to fail again.  Somewhere along the line of my configurations, the actual repository itself didn’t get created.

For the package itself, I tried to make a simple series of functions to do some goat census work for a game I play.  It didn’t go well at all.  I’m currently taking java, so I’m having some challenges switching back and forth between syntaxes, causing some turbulence with creating some simple loops.  I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out why my loop wasn’t working (I do know that loops aren’t  common in R).  It turns out that ++i doesn’t work.  In the midst of me trying to work that out, I was trying to have my functions stand alone in their own files to be called from the main file, and that wasn’t working at all either.  I tried various source declarations and, in the end, wasn’t able to get it to work.  All of this troubleshooting left me with a sad little shriveled raisin of a package.